Friday, March 14, 2008

Favorite Quotes, Part 1

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm."
- Henry David Thoreau
________

" Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means. "
- Albert Einstein
________

"What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say"
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
________

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
________

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than illumination."
-Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
_______

"The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, the rest willing to let them."
- Robert Frost
_______

"I write when I’m inspired, and I see to it that I’m inspired at nine o’clock every morning."
- Peter De Vries (1910-93)
_______

" Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.."
- Albert Einstein
__________

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
- Albert Einstein
_____________

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. "
- Rabindranath Tagore
___________

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. "
-Thomas Jefferson
__________

"There are two kinds of light--the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures."
- James Thurber
___________

"If you are a strong man, very good! But do not curse others who are not strong enough for you. …Everyone says, “Woe unto you people!!” Who says, “Woe unto me that I cannot help you?” The people are doing all right to the best of their ability and means and knowledge. Woe unto me that I cannot lift them to where I am!"
- Swami Vivekananda
________

"The quickest way of ending a war is to lose it."
- George Orwell
_________

"If you're going through Hell, keep going."
- Winston Churchill
__________

"I do not resent criticism, even when, for the sake of emphasis, it parts for the time with reality."
- Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
__________

“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
- Michael Jordan
___________

"Great minds discuss ideas
Average minds discuss events
Small minds discuss people."
- Eleanor Roosevelt
__________

"The only people who don't make mistakes at work are those who don't do anything at work."
-Elease Mitchell
_________

“To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.”
- Elbert Hubbard
__________

"It is never wise to try to appear to be more clever than you are.
It is sometimes wise to appear slightly less so."
- William Whitelaw (1918-99)
___________

"Keep on going and the chances are you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I have never heard of anyone stumbling on something sitting down."
- Charles F. Kettering, Engineer and Inventor
---------

" A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes."
- Hugh Downs "
_________

"I can’t understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I’m frightened by old ones."
- John Cage
___________

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
- Martin Luther King
__________

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
- Douglas Adams
___________

"I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else."
- Winston Churchill
____________

"I do not resent criticism, even when, for the sake of emphasis, it parts for the time with reality."
- Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
_____________

No comments: